[sugar] TurtleArt, Logo, and XOs

Arjun Sarwal arjun
Fri Jun 27 14:33:31 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Brian Silverman <bss at media.mit.edu> wrote:
> hi
>
> sorry for the delay in responding... been busy.
>
>> I hear you don't have a recent XO!   Please add yourself to our
>> contributors database and we will send you a laptop asap : projectdb.olpc.at
>> <http://projectdb.olpc.at>
>
> thank you for this. I haven't added myself yet but plan on doing so in the
> coming weeks.
>
>> There's also the TurtleArt with Sensors project, which should probably be
>> merged back into the TurtleArt trunk -- you should talk to arjun sarwal
>> about this.
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Measure#Sensor_Input_into_Turtle_Art
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities#Programming
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Turtle_Art
>>

> Yes, we should talk about this. My preference, if possible, is to somehow
> keep the versions separate. As I'm sure you've noticed, the design aesthetic
> of TurtleArt is quite minimalist. There are a lot of possible additions that
> were "obvious" that I ignored anyway. Sensors are a really good idea.
> However, rather than viewing them as an extension  I'd prefer to view them
> as part of an alternative version.

Dear SJ, Brian :

Perhaps Turtle Art could then be the 'upstream version'  and I could
maintain the 'Turtle Art with Sensors' fork ..?

Thoughts ?

---

Dear Community:

I have been working on a modification of Turtle Art with sensors that
works better than the version that has gone in Peru Activity pack. The
earlier one needed me to do gstreamer Kungfu to get the samples of
sensors/sound. The new version uses python-alsaaudio. When
python-alsaaudio (#6535) is included in builds getting samples(AC/DC)
from ADC becomes much easier and straightforward.

Also, I have been working upon re organizing the pages associated with
Measure Activity and Sensors with the aim that there should be easily
accessible information for people who visit the page. For example
educators click straight away on the educators section, people who
want to 'hack around' have access to the appropriate links..etc.
A very rough outline here http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Measure/New_temp
We can replace the main Measure page
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Measure) once perhaps we can sufficiently

In particular it'd be great if someone could help in --
* pulling off all the content on Measure page or linked off the
Measure wiki page and re-organizing it in the new format
* giving feedback or helping in the  proposed topics/sections of the
re-organized page
* help add more activities / projects around Measure sensors or Turtle
Art with (though if one sees links off the Measure page, there are
already
* exporting a relevant page set to sugarlabs wiki

I hope to be doing a release soon of Measure Activity in a week or so.
It has been almost a few months late than I had planned it to be out.
I have been working on changes in the codebase that make it more
easily extensible (for example displaying more than one graphs, say
upto 5 while not letting update rate/frame rate drop too low). Other
changes that I have been working on are making it easier to read
values (in the previous version the calibrated values in terms of
voltage are not fully correct), adding support for more lower range
frequency signals to be displayed well (For example certain Health
peripheral projects are requiring to show as low as 10Hz signals)
In the future, I hope to release soon and more regularly with
incremental changes rather than a lot of changes and a long gap in
releases.

many thanks,
Arjun

ps -- Sorry for this 'mashed up' email consisting of a lot of topics,
I hope to follow up on separate specific topics in separate threads
soon...

--
Arjun Sarwal
http://dev.laptop.org/~arjs