[sugar] [Localization] Kreyòl Localization

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Fri Jun 20 13:07:00 EDT 2008

We need some help from people who know the Activities well.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 5:56 AM, Jude Augusma <jayme2901 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Marvin,
>
> I went through the 106 strings in the terminology section and all except two
> of them which I will include in my questions are easy. The terminology
> section is just regular word, I am not seeing computer programming language
> word there at all, as you can see it take me just a little while to
> translate them all.

Sayamindu generated the terminology section with a script. It actually
needs to be constructed from questions like yours, and the entries
have to provide some explanation or context. Sayamindu, how can we add
context to Pootle entries?

For the items I marked below as needing context, it will help if I
know which file they are in, so I can look for them in the
corresponding program.

> Let's take some strings I am having problem with, just some of them:
>
> Smalltalk code

Smalltalk is a programming language. Etoys on the XO is a teaching
environment built on the Squeak version of Smalltalk. Code is the text
of a program.

> smoothing

We need a context for this. Is it graphics or statistics or what?

> A broom to align Morphs with

This means little to me. In principle a Morph should be a shape of
some kind. If Morphs are Smalltalk objects, then they could be shapes
with methods for making variations. Aligning shapes in rows or columns
makes sense, but I would have to see this broom in the screen to have
any idea of what it is or how it works.

> A UML composite state shape
> Composite State
> UML Package

UML (Unified Modeling Language) has its own terminology. Much more
information at http://www.uml.org/

> AND Gate

In logic, an AND statement is true if and only if both components are
true. In circuitry, an AND gate has two inputs implementing that AND
logic. If we represent False by 0 and True by 1, the state table for
an AND gate is

0 0: 0 Both false, no
0 1: 0 One true, one false, no
1 0: 0 One false, one true, no
1 1: 1 Both true, yes

> Another pointing hand

A pointing hand can be any of these characters: ?????? (Unicode
U+261A-261F) or a graphic of similar form.

> XOR Gate

In logic, an XOR (exclusive or) statement is true if and only if the
inputs have different values. One or the other is true, but not both.
State table:
0 0: 0
0 1: 1
1 0: 1
1 1: 0

> Scrolled State

Needs context

> Squeak

A version of Smalltalk. The logo for Squeak is a mouse (rodent) face.
I think we should leave it as it is, but if it is to be translated, we
want the word for the sound a mouse makes.

> STClass
> FSM ButtonBar
> FSM Flap
> Arrow Editor
> Toggle dots
> Clear clicks

Explanation and context needed.

> A handy Morph-generating button

Handy=convenient. We had Morphs above. This is a convenient button on
the screen for generating Morphs, one per mouse click on the button.

> attachmentOwnerChanged

This seems to be a piece of program code. If so, leave it as is unless
we translate the identifiers in the program someday.

> sourceConnected
> RandomConnector

Also identifier names.

> A basic Connector that bends smoothly

In a drawing program such as Microsoft Visio, or in Free Software
Kivio, there are straight line connectors, connectors that bend at
right angles to turn corners, and smoothly curved connectors.

> flap

There are several kinds of flap in English. We need context.

Birds flap their wings
Airplanes have control flaps
Various objects have flaps that fold over

> Kedema Turtle

Kedema is part of Squeak. This seems to refer to turtle graphics, as
in the Turtle Art activity.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/