[sugar] Home Design: Free Layout View

Martin Dengler martin
Fri Jun 13 07:30:54 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:52:15AM -0400, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
[...]
> What could be done on the Home-view page (once the existing "ring"
> gets too crowded) is to *not* show some icons until an "enabling
> object" is clicked.  By "expanding" only one "enabling object" at a
> time, the available space on the Home-view page gets multi-used --
> providing lots of scalability.  Since a "ring display of objects"
> looks good, clicking on an "enabling object" put into an inner ring
> could bring up an adjacent "outer ring segment" showing more icons.

This made me think of a hyperbolic tree[1,2] layout with the root node
obviously being the XO, the central ring being the activities and each
activity allowing navigation to its instances in the journal.

> mikus

Martin

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperbolicTree
2. http://www.visual-literacy.org/periodic_table/periodic_table.html