[sugar] not preserving journal

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Sat Jun 7 16:06:29 EDT 2008

I tend to __mess__ with my XO.  As such, I realize I have to take my
lumps once in a while.  But - the OLPC appears to NOT be safe from
people like me.

I have two different builds (in /versions) on my XO - a Joyride and
an Update.1.  From the Update.1, I used 'olpc-update' to install
Joyride 2024.  It failed boot (sugar did not come up; and if I did
not touch any buttons during boot I had no keyboard input, either).

So I used the square button to boot into Update.1 -- and my Journal
was empty.  I've had the Journal cleaned out before, so I did NOT
have anything that mattered in there.  [I manually save everything
important to a permanently-mounted SD card.]  But for anyone who
depends upon Journal, it would have been a traumatic experience.

mikus