[sugar] [IAEP] Fwd: Autonomous system for Sugar development....

Jim Gettys jg
Fri Jun 6 15:04:48 EDT 2008

Ivan,

?The community itself needs to decide on a set of people who are the
group of sysadmin people for Sugar's possible move to be something all
are comfortable about.

These discussions should be best be on email, or at worst scheduled,
published in advance IRC meetings (*with minutes*).  This project is
world wide, with participation in (almost) every timezone and continent;
we must enable all interested to participate. ? As projects grow, IRC is
less and less appropriate for such discussion, and any IRC use needs to
become scheduled pre-published events (and even then, you leave out
people on some parts of the world).  Mail has the features of leaving a
record, and allowing time-shifting.

And for more to contribute in the sysadmin area, the system
administration needs to have redundancy, and actually get documented and
communicated.  Single points of failure is not an option to us at this
date.

I raised many points in my mail; the hardware and hosting is probably
the least difficult of them.
                               Best Regards,
                                - Jim

On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 14:16 +0200, Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> > Should we offer to host Sugar at Sugar Labs? Can we, in terms of
> > hardware and people resources?
>
> Discussions are in progress about it. I can immediately host all
> _existing_ services. What's needed past that is a testing/buildbot
> machine, which we currently don't have but is probably easy to get
> someone to contribute.
>
> --
> Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org

Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>