[sugar] Idea: Aerial photographs of all villages where XO's are deployed

Wade Brainerd wadetb
Fri Jun 6 14:44:15 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz <
bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Wade Brainerd wrote:
> | Too bad the new Google Earth API is much too high level for these
> purposes,
> | it would be great if Google would open up the data.
>
> Check out openaerialmap.org
>
> It's fantastic.

That is pretty cool - though the data is a bit lower resolution than
Google's, and it's pretty easy to reverse engineer Google Maps itself.  A
friend of mine wrote a desktop application that scrapes images from Google
Maps, Yahoo Maps, and Live Maps into a database for offline use.

The real data I'm interested though is all the annotations that appear in
Google Earth, like the links to Wikipedia articles and pictures on Pictorama
(or whatever it's called).  A quick check reveals that a lot of that data is
publicly available too though, as KML layers or in other formats.

So it should be possible to create an school server based or fully online
user editable mapping solution for XO, given the data that is available for
free.  And the Map activity is a good start, it just needs some more
development.

Best,
Wade