[sugar] Preparing for the feature freeze

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Tue Jun 3 05:54:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
>> Priority 2. I would love to have it but it might be too late, given
>> that Sayamindu experimentation run into interesting problems.
>
> A nice thing about this is that little changes to sugar are expected
> to be needed, so it's easy to swap-in swap-out, perhaps in a quick
> 8.2.1 release?

Well, if we go for the fullscreen hint approach, it will need changes
to all the non-python activities, so it would be pretty invasive.

>>> activate composition (eToys and
>>> Record have trouble with this).
>>
>> Priority 1. Can we actually do this given the memory constraints?
>
> We'll be saving 3.5MB per python activity with the prefork trick, and
> in the worst case we would be having a penalty of 2MB per fullscreen
> window because of composition.

Bernando was saying that this is not possible because of *video*
memory constraints.

> If we only keep the active activity
> composited, we could limit this to a total of 4MB with peaks of 6MB
> (desktop window + active activity + inactive activity while we take
> the screenshot).

I would like to see a proof of concept of this approach.

> Doesn't sound too bad if the avoided rewrites give us
> a smoother experience.
>
> Notifications on the lower corners look quite weird because of lack of
> transparency, btw.
>
>>> * Presence scalability when using Jabber (gadget).
>>
>> Priority 2.
>
> Sure about this? Usefulness of presence is very limited without this.

Did we actually reach the point where reliability of the network with
a high number of buddies/activities make this useful? What work is
involved to get this working?

Marco