[sugar] Experiments with Metacity

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Mon Jun 2 11:16:02 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:34 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
> | <mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> |> We could add an option to make metacity show *no* decoration for
> |> maximized windows. As long as we have a Close menu on the frame that
> |> should be desired also for desktop applications.
> |>
> |> Ideally we could figure out a way to make metacity maximize activity
> |> windows by default, but I can't think of a clean way to do it. One
> |> problem with doing the maximize in the activity is that it would still
> |> do so when running on a normal desktop.
> |>

> | I tried the alternative of modifying metacity instead of playing
> | around with the activities.
> | My plan is to make metacity behave a little differently (ie: maximize
> | and undecorate any window with the hint GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_NORMAL,
> | as suggested by Marco in
> | http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/WindowManagement) when it runs inside
> | Sugar. For this, I think a possible way forward is to have
> | olpc-session export a environment variable SUGAR_SESSION_RUNNING=1,
> | which would be checked by metacity before it goes into the "sugary
> | mode" [1]. Does this sound sane ?
>
> No.  Why not just have activities run with _NET_WM_STATE_ =
> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN in their EWMH X properties?  There is no need to
> modify Metacity.

That was what we tried sometime back. It stopped the frame from
popping up, and also an icon to exit fullscreen appeared at the top
right corner. (something like the one you get in record activity: when
you view the webcam output in fullscreen mode).
Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta