[sugar] Capturing all mouse events

Martin Dengler martin
Sun Jun 1 21:15:15 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 09:05:48PM -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> Martin Dengler wrote:
> | On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:38:39PM -0400, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
> |>
> |> Does anyone know how to capture all mouse events?
> |
> | In trying to do this with pygtk, we both have run into gtk bug
> | #156948[1] - for the record/to close the loop, we tried calling
> | add_filter() on gtk.gdk.get_default_root_window()'s returned
> | gtk.gdk.Window. This should, in theory, give us all events[2]. But the
> | bug prevents the information from being useful, and it's not clear
> | that we're really getting all events[3].
>
> I've been trying to use the RECORD extension, which provides access to ALL
> input events in a simple way.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to load the
> RECORD extension.  I have added the line
>
> Load "record"
>
> to my xorg.conf, and my Xorg.0.log now shows a line
>
> (II) Loading extension RECORD
>
> but xdpyinfo doesn't show RECORD in its list of loaded extensions.

Me too...it was already in xorg.conf, so we must be doing something
wrong...

-bash-3.2# grep -i record /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        Load "record" # Mostly a debugging tool
-bash-3.2# grep -i record /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) "record" will be loaded. This was enabled by default and also
specified in the config file.
(II) LoadModule: "record"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//librecord.so
(II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(II) Loading extension RECORD
-bash-3.2# xdpyinfo | grep -i record
-bash-3.2#

> - --Ben