[sugar] Random observations with joyride-2225 and latest activities

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer
Tue Jul 29 03:32:28 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I've been running joyride-2225 with what I believe to be the latest versions
(as per the update software functionality of the sugar-control-panel) of
some core activities. In the past half hour I have stumbled across some
issues that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else so I thought I'd share
them:

a) Record: using v56 the activity starts up fine, the display shows whatever
the camera is capturing, I can go into fullscreen-mode, switch to different
tabs, etc. However once I press the "capture"-button the whole thing
basically freezes, sometimes I was still able to move the mouse but clicking
wouldn't have any impact, at other times Sugar completely froze and I had to
do a hard reset of the XO.
b) TurtleArt: v7 is missing an "l" in the activity title so we're looking at
"TurteArt"
c) Read: This activity is only useful if started by clicking on a file with
a mime-type that's associated to read. However it still shows up in the list
view of the home-view even though you actually can't do anything with it
once you start it. The activity.info file has the "show_launcher" property
to define that behavior, not sure whether in this case it's simply set
wrongly in the read .info or whether the list-view presently ignores this
attribute.
Another odd issue is that when you open read from the list / favorites view
and you then want to close it you're presented with a "keep error" message
which seems quite useless considering the fact that no activity / file was
actually resumed. Again, not sure whether that's an issue with read or the
underlying Journal structure.
d) Brightness adjustment: up to 708 and most earlier joyrides that I have
used in the past weeks allowed you to immediatly turn of the backlight by
pressing ctrl + reduce brightness button. With joyride-2225 this doesn't
work anymore.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Christoph