[sugar] specifying what services Activities may use

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Tue Jul 29 00:20:12 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Jerry Williams wrote:
> | Seems like this problem for linux was solved with RPM.
> | With rpm if something is missing for something you want to install, it
> | complains and won't let you install it.
>
> That's not really the problem we're discussing.  We're talking about the
> case in which you try to install an old bundle onto a new build, or vice
> versa.  RPM solves this problem by just not letting you do that.  You
> can't install a rh9 RPM on FC8.

Yes you can. It will be prevented only if specific versioned
dependencies prevent it.

> I don't think many people around here would be happy to require all new
> .xo bundles for every release.  I don't have a solution to suggest, but I
> don't think classic dependency management is going to do the trick.

Yes, classic dependency management would help. Unfortunately, rpm and
dpkg have several shortcomings of their own when you try to apply them
to the XO case. It would be mighty interesting to see a 'userland'
adaptation of rpm, supporting user-friendly features such as
relocatable packages, while still taking advantage of the OS-wide rpm
(for checking dependencies, for example).

cheers.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions