[sugar] Sugar Digest, Vol 25, Issue 94

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc
Fri Jul 25 09:48:20 EDT 2008

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the input.

I'm glad you sent this before the launch of 8.2.0 as it would be very
discouraging to launch a new release then have one of the lead engineers
say "this sucks" ;-)

That said, I don't think we can address many (any?) of these things in
8.2.0 due to the constraints that Kim mentioned.

I pasted this e-mail in to the 9.1.0 privatization page, engineering
requests section:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0#Priorities_from_Engineering

Can you send and/or paste in to the 9.1.0 wiki links to further
documentation or history on your points?

These four in particular, but any other details also appreciated:
- bug ids for the "amazing variety of terrible bugs"
- Links to specifications on the 5 datastore design proposals
- Links to file sharing proof of concept programs
- Links to "develop" specs and documentation on how it works now

This may be old news for others, but I don't have the details in my
browser favorites or linked from my wiki pages yet.

Brief comments on your top 6 items:
1 - Datastore
Are you saying the current datastore has the functionality but its
buggy, or that new core functionality is needed? Either way, I hear
there is consensus that a major redesign is needed and its holding up
other work (e.g. journal improvements).

2 - Updates
I agree. Not sure when we'll freeze the OS variables require us to wipe
user data on upgrade (e.g. see 1 above). Aside from USB, this problem
can benefit from system level work (e.g. XS -> XO or XO <-> XO updating).

BTW - 75% of deployed Xos are on 656 and 25% (Peru) are on 703. That
will change as new countries come online. See:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User_talk:Gregorio#Shipment_Quantities_and_Languages
I will be adding build #s to that data as soon as I can.

3 - File sharing
I completely agree!

4 - Activity modification
I want to hear more demand from the users, but its clearly part of our
core mission. We need scoping to prioritize this re: 9.1.0

5 - Bitfrost
Not sure about the long term design but it sounds like we need to fix
that one hole ASAP. If we could be as secure as Linux + Gnome that would
be a good start.

6 - Power
Should be much better in 8.2.0. I'd like to see a design proposal and
scoping for your additional suggestions. That should include real use
cases (e.g. XO only chirping on wireless, XO not networking and user
away for long time, XO not networking and user away for short time, etc.).

BTW lots of architectural challenges were raised on the list lately. Its
a great discussion but I hope it doesn't distract too much from the
focus of improving "stability" in 8.2.0. We're in the home stretch on
that and we need it working in the field ASAP.

I hope we can manage two subjects in parallel:
- deliver highest possible quality in 8.2.0
- design/discuss 9.1.0

Thanks for your comments and significant contribution to the project!

Thanks,

Greg S