[sugar] Remarks on the Work of Sugar

Michael Stone michael
Tue Jul 22 20:19:00 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 08:01:02PM -0400, Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> On Jul 22, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Michael Stone wrote:
>>   Python lacks support for loading data without unmarshalling
>>   it from bytestreams.
>
> Can you clarify what specifically you mean with this point?

I regard "fully pythonic" python data as a subgraph of a
reference-counted object graph. So far as I know, Python has lots of
interesting ways to parse bytestreams into object graphs, but no great
way to read an object graph directly into memory without the overhead of
parsing or to save an subgraph of its object graph directly to a
bytestream. This makes it hard to use pythonic data via shared-memory or
to pull it quickly off of a filesystem.

(An interesting potential hack would be to teach Python how to use
multiple object graphs so that one could more easily confine an
interesting subgraph to a fixed set of pages.)

Michael