[sugar] Textbook

Bastien bzg
Tue Jul 22 05:13:17 EDT 2008

Hi Robert,

Robert Myers <rmyers7 at mindspring.com> writes:

> I'm approaching this through the back door. I've been working on a port
> of an Asteroids game to the XO.

I've jumped on Asteroids while listing the packages with xo-get.py
But it wouldn't start on my machine (os703).  I *WANT* to play!

> I've been trying to pull out the behavior to what I've been calling
> 'Physics game classes'.

You might also be interested on Elisabeth Spelke (and others) work on
what it commonly called "naive physics".  Exploring the constraints of
such a naive physics is fundamental: it helps the teachers understand
how to let the children build new representations on top of what they
already experience from the [outside or XO-mediated] [micro-]world.

Tapping Epistemological Resources for Learning Physics
  http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a785041701~db=all

Naive Physics Reasoning: A Commitment to Substance-Based Conceptions
  http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a783760369~db=all

On the Nature of Na?ve Physics
  http://www.springerlink.com/content/kl44571021758m33/

best,