[sugar] Abiword 2.6.4 on Ubuntu (was Re: Write needs your help)

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Fri Jul 18 19:09:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 3:24 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
> This from the abiword on ubuntu webpage
> (http://abisource.com/wiki/Install_on_Ubuntu)
>
> At this time, the latest version available directly from Ubuntu is an
> Ubuntu-modified 2.4.6. We are working to get AbiWord 2.6 in Ubuntu
> 8.04 "Hardy Heron"
>
> and adding their repo installs 2.6.4... but if you need the source
> that should work too
>
> I can build it without problems on my hardy system... just requires a
> lot of development library dependencies like below, you need to
> install libglib2.0-dev
>
> Kind Regards,
> David Van Assche

I built 2.6.4 from source yesterday on Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on an
AMD Opteron 64-bit.

It does not display non-alphabetic ASCII correctly. The digits and
punctuation, and also the space character, mostly appear as Unicode
hex substitution glyphs. Armenian and Arabic display OK. Bengali
vowels do not attach to base consonants, but are displayed in their
standalone form. I'm giving up for the day.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/