[sugar] Write needs your help (was Re: Programming environments on the XO)

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Thu Jul 17 14:14:53 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Erik Garrison wrote:
> | On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:16:07AM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> | Given the quantity of free software available for Linux distributions
> | relative to the quantity of available sugarized applications, I believe
> | that repeats of this pattern will be inevitable.
>
> I am not so sure.  Given the tremendous amount of crappy duplicate
> software, I suspect that we only need to execute a handful of ports to
> achieve complete functionality.  Conversely, there is no good Free video
> editor for Linux, easy 3D modeler, numerical analysis environment .... so
> in many cases, there's simply nothing to port.
>
> | As I understand, there are a variety of problems with the use of
> | unsugarized applications:
> |
> |     - UI issues because of high screen dpi and small size.
> |     - Journal integration.
> |     - Resource utilization.
> |     - Bitfr?st and security concerns.
> |     - Collaboration.
> |
> | I expect there are others and would be happy to know them so that I
> | better understand this problem.
>
> The biggest one, much higher on my list than any of the above, is
> incompatibility with the Activity launching mechanism and window manager.
> ~ Because of this issue, standard X/Linux applications that have been
> correctly repackaged as .xo bundles won't even start.  It appears that
> switching to the Freedesktop.org startup notification system and a
> modified metacity window manager may be able to resolve this.

Could you point me towards such a .xo bundle ? I will love to test it
out against a modified metacity based sugar environment.
Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta