[sugar] Sugar and OLPC release processes

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Mon Jul 14 20:03:33 EDT 2008

Hello,

I discussed a bit with Michael how to integrate Sugar and OLPC release
processes. I'm going to summarize the outcoming here.

* SugarLabs should try to schedule his release a few months before the
OLPC release target date (something around 2-3 months). That will give
us enough time to ensure everything is stable before we start
integrating the new code in the OLPC distribution.

* Sugar developers employed by OLPC will work on OLPC release
contracts for all the new features present in the new release.

* After the first stable release SugarLabs will keep releasing minor
updates, which will include bug fixes and strings for the OLPC
release.

* We should make an effort to develop all the features required as
part of the unstable development cycle. Though there surely will be
cases where OLPC will need changes outside the normal SugarLabs
schedule. We will land these in a limited and controlled way both
during the freeze periods and as part of the stable minor releases.

I think this is pretty solid. In particular releasing Sugar a few
months before OLPC will help improving quality. It's really difficult
to do unstable development and distribution work at the same time.

Marco