[sugar] profile information

Chris Ball cjb
Mon Jul 14 00:39:52 EDT 2008

Hi Pol,

   > I propose using a dictionary to represent an extensible list of
   > key/value pairs, some of which will be mandatory, like nickname,
   > colors, key (countries may want to enforce other mandatory fields,
   > like grade, class etc). This dictionary would be loaded from
   > storage on boot and saved on every change.

The control panel code already extends the profile in this way; the
data from control panel entries are saved into the profile on change
and loaded from it at startup.  So, we're most of the way there already.

We don't have a UI for the arbitrary keystore you mention, though,
and loading entries from the profile is done manually in profile.py:
we pull out key-value pairs that we're interested in, instead of just
throwing every entry into the profile directly.  I think we should
switch over to importing every key-value pair we find into the running
profile, as you suggest.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>