[sugar] SugarLabs and OLPC

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Sun Jul 13 14:02:39 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 7:55 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-13 at 12:15 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> there has been a bit of confusion on how the OLPC and SugarLabs
>> schedules relates, in particular regarding translation and string
>> freeze.
>>
>> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/localization/2008-July/001139.html
>>
>> I'm trying to think more in general about how to shape up the
>> upstream/downstream relation. My goals are:
>
> Marco,
>
> All of your suggestions are good.
>
> Instead of attempting make these decisions now, we should wait until
> OLPC has shipped 8.2 to continue this discussion.  OLPC is busy trying
> to meet a hard deadline for their 300,000 users that is quickly
> approaching.
>
> Michael Stone and Gregorio are make good progress setting up the release
> process for OLPC at  http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Process_Home .

The reason I posted this now is that there is already confusion about
the upstream/downstream relation, as showed by the localization
mailing list thread I referenced.

Obviously we are not going to take any action until 8.2.0 is out, but
I don't see any reason to not start thinking and discussing the
direction we are taking. Mainly because having a direction helps
informing the short time decisions.

Marco