[sugar] cursor jumpiness

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Sat Jul 12 17:29:04 EDT 2008

G1G1; Q2D16; Joyride, manually updated to 2146.

Just now experienced an episode of "jumpiness" with my cursor.  What
was unusual was that I was using an external USB mouse (and an
external USB keyboard) -- my hands were nowhere near the XO
touchpad.  [By "jumpiness" I mean that for a small movement of the
mouse, the cursor would "jump" to someplace further from the
starting point than intended.  Not sure about this, but some jumps
might have been at an angle to the mouse movement.]

I'm now thinking that some of the unexpected cursor behavior that
many have noticed - might come not from variances in SENSING the
user's input, but rather from variances in INTERPRETING (in
software) the sense data that had been received.  Or it might even
be due to "interference" having corrupted the 'sense data' from how
it had actually been reported by the input device.

[I have no reason to think that my (optical) mouse suddenly started
emitting  "position" information differently.  Normally, my XO
cursor moves smoothly when I move my mouse.]

mikus