[sugar] Home View appearance

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Tue Jul 8 11:10:21 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 6:52 AM, NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu> wrote:
> Now I see that the XO icon thing is a dupe:
> https://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7043
>
> I do not see any connection with 7430 however. What I wanted to say is
> that if you really want to keep that useless Free Form view then at
> least select the Circle View by default (for the Circle vs Free Form).

The connection is that, though the Freeform may be the default, you
should only have to switch it once, as your choice should be
preserved. There has been some disagreement on which view should be
the default; time and further feedback from deployments will tell what
the best choice is, I hope.

> Another problem is that the Activity button (the 4th zoom level) can
> select the Journal if that was the last active activity. It has an own
> button so I cannot see any reason why it has to be the way it is. It is
> an annoyance that when I download several things then go from Browse to
> the Journal, open the pdf in Read, close Read and click the button it
> switches back to Journal and not Browse. It should not treat Journal as
> an application.

Hmmm, that's not quite how it should work.  While we do technically
treat the Journal as an activity, it should always be the bottom-most
activity on the stack.  That is, you should only ever be switched to
it when there are no other open activities left, which is reasonable,
since the Journal is a point to resume activities from.  If you can
confirm this behavior in a recent joyride, could you make a ticket and
indicate what build number you tested on?

2008/7/8 Chris Barrett <Chris at barrett-architect.com>:
> Just a lowly G1G1 end user here,
>
> environments to what suits them, I know I certainly do.  I'll add that the
> addition of a choice between free-form or list view to the network pane
> would also be a welcome addition for anyone trying to use the machine in
> areas with many APs (not it's intended operating condition, I know).

Yes indeed.  That's been our plan since day one, but sadly it's
slipped onto the back burner several times.  Though we won't have time
to add it for the August release, I have high hopes that we'll see
list views in all zoom levels by the next release after that.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 3:37 AM, NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu> wrote:
> Also the list view has a bug, that it does not have an XO icon which can
> be clicked to get a shutdown/cpanel menu item. My suggestion is that
> probably the Neighborhood/Group view's XO icon should have the same menu.

Yeah this is a known "bug".  We aren't quite certain whether or not
the list view needs an XO, as it wouldn't fit into the same table as
the activities in Home view.  An alternative solution would be to
ensure the "XO menu" (with shutdown, reboot, settings, etc.) is
attached to your own XO in the people edge of the Frame, which is
always available.  Along the same lines, we agree with you that the XO
in the other zoom levels should have the same palette!  That's just
another low priority bug that's been lingering for a while now.  I'm
not even sure if there's a ticket for it, though.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!  Tickets are welcome if you
can't find some already covering your concerns.  Assign them to the
interface-design component and I'll be sure to tackle them.

- Eben