[sugar] compiling gears and rpm build

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Sun Jul 6 21:43:50 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 5:30 PM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another thing I forgot to mention is that I go the source from the google
> gears svn trunk (the only place the source is available) and I'm a little
> unsure what to put into SOURCES of the rpmbuild, as the svn checkout
> contains the osx, windows, symbian, windows ce and linux code.. not to
> mention multiple browsers... Surely there must be a way for me to seperate
> just the linux source I used to build... any ideas?

Great to hear you're making progress. Exciting!

I'm not sure of the gears repo layout, but you can do a checkout of
only a subdir - if the linux/gecko stuff is in a subdir, you could
just get that subdir. Otherwise, my guess is that you'll have a "core"
gears dir and various "osx/" , "windows" subdirs with
platform-specific glue, don't worry about that :-)

Or at least, ask in Fedora-devel whether it's worth your time to worry
about that :-)

> On another note... there is an interesting project called gears on rails,
> which is a mix of gears with ruby on rails allowing for a very fast and
> organised approach to building offline apps.... this could be the way to
> go...

That's just shiny stuff, don't let it distract you :-) We don't have
Ruby on the server or on the client. And we won't until there is a
killer-app for it. We have an incredibly limited RAM and disk-space
budget and everytime we add a language, plus all its libraries and
stuff... we'll look at Ruby the day there's a compelling app for us on
the XS.  Could be romorrow, could be never.

For the XO it's pretty nigh impossible.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions