[sugar] Python interpreter accessible from Sugar ui, accessible when wanted

Bert Freudenberg bert
Fri Jan 25 09:54:43 EST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 15:46 , Chas. Owens wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2008 8:32 AM, Eduardo H Silva <hoboprimate at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Today, while learning python (with the excellent book Bit of
>> Python), I
>> wondered:
>> What if sugar had a python interpreter and code window which could be
>> toggled on/off, and would stay on top like in the future with
>> bulletin
>> boards, giving a constant access to python power.
>>  Say, in the ruler activity a kid could take measurements, and at
>> the same
>> time be assigning them to variables on the side (or on the top),
>> and be
>> computing areas and perimeters.
>> But that's why we have pippy, I hear you say. If pippy took a more
>> 'learn
>> python' or tutor role, then those kids who learned it through it,
>> could
>> seamlessly make use of it everywhere within sugar.
>>
>> Maybe this is nuts, and 'code talks, and s..t walks', so I'm
>> throwing the
>> idea for now.
>>
>> Eduardo
>
> So, something like the clipboard.  It would come out and let you write
> snippets of code that would all execute in the same python process.
> Then you could switch to a special activity that would let you manage
> those snippets to make a program.  Sounds like an interesting idea.

Indeed. Also, clicking on a UI element with a special modifier
pressed could create a variable reference in that overlay
"workspace", so you can refer to stuff shown on the screen in your
little snippets. That would be immensely cool!

- Bert -