[sugar] On Matplotlib on the XO

Arjun Sarwal arjun
Fri Feb 8 11:09:05 EST 2008

Fernando, John,

I do believe that something like Matplotlib would be very useful in
the context of the various graphing/plotting functions that I was
looking for doing. Measure captures electrical signals and also logs
signal values at specified intervals.

Graphical representation of both kinds of information can quite
wonderfully be carried out using Matplotlib. The size (matplotlib and
related dependencies, the only one that isn't already on the XO being
pytz) issue is one that I had been thinking about, but I see you have
put quite a lot of thought and work into that, so I guess we should be
able to take care of that.

Thinking a little further and discussing with the author of Acoustic
Measure Activity (that calculates the distance between 2 XOs)-Benjamin
Schwartz (cced here), we believe that the functionality of such a tool
would extend to be useful for graphing/plotting any data -- be it
generated from Measure or from Acoustic Measure Activity ( a log of
distance recordings at various points of time) or any other Activity
in the future.

The general idea that emerges is that it'd be very useful to have a
spreadsheet like interface which loads the csv file generated by say
Measure or Acoustic Measure and one can subsequently, from within the
spreadsheet interface, select data sets and generate various
plots/graphs using matplotlib.

I have also cced Manusheel Gupta here who is leading the efforts on
the Spreadsheet Activity and I would like to see this conversation go
further.

best regards,
Arjun