[sugar] Matplotlib vs PyCha

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Thu Feb 7 11:05:05 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 02:20 -0500, Arjun Sarwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In continuation with my previous email[1] in which I had mentioned
> that I was looking for python packages that would enable me to do
> graphing/plotting of data in various formats. I searched through a
> series of packages. One that I really liked was gtksheet (or
> gtkextra?)[2]  which had various plotting functions (and also a
> spreadsheet like interface, which I would eventually need) but there
> hasn't been any development on that since a long time and that package
> depends pygtk1 and python <<2.4 so it seems I can't use it.

Seems like gtkextra has continued to be developed and was ported to
gtk2. It is also packaged in F7:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=1987

But I think that doesn't include python bindings :/

If you decided to try, wrapping gtk widgets with pygtk uses to be quite
straightforward. You could base those bindings on

http://python-gtkextra.cvs.sourceforge.net/python-gtkextra/python-gtkextra2/

I'm not sure we want this lib in the platform, so you would have to
include all these pieces inside your activity bundle.

Tomeu