[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Request for help packaging activities for Sugar on a Stick

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Dec 24 16:05:51 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 04:53:15AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > we are not going to block on it. The plan is to continue to package
>> > activities and hopefully to do it faster. And at the same time to make
>> > .xo work better on SoaS (also I need to figure out how to best install
>> > .xo from the livecd kickstart, it's pretty painful). Then I'm looking
>> > forward for a good discussion at FUDcon about .xo and normal
>> > distribution packaging.
>> >
>> > That said, unfortunately, the hardest problems are in the system
>> > differences between Fedora and the OLPC images (sugar-evince, csound,
>> > olpcgames problems, tamtam performance hacks, xulrunner patches etc).
>> >
>> > Marco
>>
>> is there any public discussion (especially after founding SL and targeting to
>> another distros) about packaging sugar activities, maybe using something like
>> autopackage or openpkg fits better then .xo ?

If there is any discussion, it is in public!  Or someone is going to
catch hell:)

> particularly in case of activities.s.o

It is a little early to start reworking the package manager.

We are talking to distributions about certifying Sugar on netbooks for
OEMS.  In order to feel comfortable supporting Sugar, the
distributions want to be able to use the package management systems as
and processes with which thay are comfortable.

thanks
david