[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Sucrose 0.84 Feature Freeze

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Dec 17 03:59:13 EST 2008

Greg Smith wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> I looked at the schedule. Its helpful but I'm not sure I fully
> understand all the milestones.
>
> What is the definition of "final release"?

This is the golden image. It is the last coordinated release. After that
we only deliver updates for components.

> Once the feature set is frozen, how do I know what is in the release?

Each release in the cycle has it's release page with the relevant
features and fixes for the specific release. After Feature Freeze we
might wrap up what big changes/features went in, in the announcement.

Is
> that the list of Trac IDs in 0.83.1 release notes?

Would be the sum of the releases in the cycle before the feature freeze.

(btw the bug ID URLs
> on that page link to the wrong Trac system).

Fixed.

> Also, are all XO relevant bugs tracked in the OLPC Trac bug system:
> (dev.laptop.org)?

dev.laptop.org should have bugs that are only relevant to the OLPC
platform in the future. Currently, I guess there are still some bugs
that other distributions would profit as well.

> Are you joining our weekly 9.1.0 meeting (Wed. at 2PM US ET IRC on
> freenode.net #olpc-meeting)?

I take this as an invitation - and will try :)

> I don't have it on the schedule for this week but I think we should put
> a "synch up with Sugar schedule" discussion on the agenda ASAP.

Time left is short for this release. What we are currently working on
can be seen in our development TODO list
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/TODO.

> Stability is a top priority for XO users. The only way I know of to
> improve stability is lots of testing time and focus on bug fixes. We
> need to get that scheduled soon if we want a new sugar release in XO
> Software Release 9.1.0 in March.

That is why we set the feature freeze in mid January - that we have 6
weeks left to stabilize. By January I hope to have the BugSquad [1] then
in place to handle all the incoming bug reports from testing.

> My impression is that we made a big step forward on improving stability
> in 8.2.0. I hope we can do it again.

Sure :)

> Thanks,
>
> Greg S