[Sugar-devel] Wacom Bamboo with XO?

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:16:59 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 12:49 PM, Chris Marshall
<jns-cmarshall at comcast.net>wrote:

> Gary C Martin wrote:
>
>> On 7 Dec 2008, at 00:58, Wade Brainerd wrote:
>>
>>  Okay, Colors! v11 supports Wacom tablets, with pressure sensitivity.
>>> Instructions for setup are on the activity page, it's really pretty
>>> simple.
>>>
>>> OLPC folks, it might be nice to update xorg-dcon.conf to support Wacom
>>> tablets, and to include the linuxwacom package in builds.  I think
>>> that deployments would be well served to have a few cheap graphics
>>> tablets available for art classes, etc.  If you're interested, the
>>> Colors! activity bundle contains the fixed xorg-dcon.conf.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Colors!
>>>
>>> -Wade
>>>

>> Hey Wade, sounds great! Unfortunately I'm not having any luck here  with
>> an XO running 8.2-767 and an Intuos model Wacom tablet. Any one  else had
>> any success?
>>
>> BTW: After yum has installed linuxwacom.i386 0:0.7.9.8-6.fc9, the
>>  additions to xorg-dcon.conf made, and a reboot just to make sure – If  I go
>> look in /dev/input/ I still see no wacom device listed.
>>
>> --Gary
>>

> This is great news but it did not work on my setup:
> os767 with a BambooFun tablet.
>
> I do not see any entries for the wacom in /dev/input
> and a wacdump of all the possible /dev/input/event#
> entries showed all unknown.
>
> For my yum install it pulled the same version as Gary
> reported.
>
>  Had you done some previous installs that might have
>  done addition configuration or driver installs?
>
>  What version linuxwacom do you have?
>
>  What /dev/input entries?]
>
>  What do you see with wacdump for them?
>
> Also, the sudo cp of the xorg-dcon.conf from the Colors!
> instructions does not have the '!' in it and will not
> work.  I had do su to run the command and escape the
> '!' as a history expansion character with a backslash.
> I was not able to get a combination of escapes that
> would work with the sudo emulation...
>
> --Chris

Odd, thanks for the reports!  I already fixed the Wiki instructions.

I'm not sure what's different about my system, it's mostly stock 767.  I had
previously installed pgf's wacom.ko using insmod:

http://dev.laptop.org/~pgf/wacom.ko

to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/usb/input/

However, I assumed that the yum install linuxwacom overwrote it.  Perhaps
not though, I'm new to Linux kernel modules.  Try grabbing and installing
that kernel module, and see if it magically works.

-Wade