[Sugar-devel] Removing "Register" button from sugar on non-XO machine

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Sat Dec 6 18:27:56 EST 2008

On 6 Dec 2008, at 22:20, Eben Eliason wrote:

> That depends.  I suppose we might be able to support some services,
> like backup, in interesting ways in non-school situations. I think the
> more appropriate course of action is to pursue the idea of the
> "collaboration server" as a unique device in the neighborhood.  In
> truth, the "register" option should be an action on that server
> device, and not part of the Home menu.  That was a short term hack
> which, like many we've made, has stuck due to lack of resources.  With
> my suggested change, no one would see the registration option unless
> they could make use of it.
>
> I'm CC'ing Martin, who recently emailed me on this subject (sorry for
> not getting back to you yet Martin).  We need to iron out the plan for
> representing the server and exposing the available services.  Here's a
> ticket which mentions this, though oddly it's closed, which might be
> why this has never been "done right":
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/2467.
>
> - Eben

That gets my +1 – not that mine is worth much :-)

Would be great to see more service types in the neighbourhood. I can
imagine a control panel module for each service type that either auto
populates a list (if at all possible/practical), or/and allows entries
to be manually added.

A current example would be jabberd services (or whatever formal name
we want this, collaboration server (?), it's not the same as an XS);
would be nice to have a CP module that you can add** a list of servers
to, then each would be shown as an icon in neighbourhood, a simple
click would switch your jabber server.

**Perhaps an XS if present would provide the default list so it's
manageable.

--Gary