[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Add Fedora logo to Sugar

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat Dec 6 12:26:13 EST 2008

2008/12/6 Luke Faraone <luke at laptop.org>:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 12:05, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
> wrote:
> Uh, why?
>
> It is, after all, a installation of RedHat's _Fedora_ OS (albiet with OLPC
> modifications).

To put it succinctly, actually, fedora is a distribution of GNU+Linux,
a free operating system. Specifically, out of GNU+Linux, the "Linux"
bit represents less than 1%.

So if its about giving credit, then GNU *is* more appropriate. And why
is it more so for children, well you are pointing them somewhere.
Where do you want to point them? Don't get me wrong, fedora is a very
nice special-interest community, but GNU is a cultural movement that
basically made the entire ecosystem possible. If children visit GNU,
they will learn about history and liberty.

Unless you're expecting to get many patches and contributions to
fedora from the children, perhaps in the interest of pedagogy and
freedom in society, it is more appropriate to point them to GNU.

In a more reconciliatory note, perhaps a swarm of logos might emerge,
as bemasc suggested to me on our XO Chat: GNU, Linux, fedora, python,
and all the rest of the pack.

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Silva