[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Add Fedora logo to Sugar

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat Dec 6 10:18:39 EST 2008

I've been pondering how to put this forward. I have not the intention
of causing disruption, however I think this subject is very important.

I was surprised that our main UI metaphor - a CHILD, the center of
activities... a Symbol for Interacting and Sharing... would be
restricted for our use as a community movement.

Suddendly the XO was more like a "DELL" logo rather than a child to me.
It made me a bit uncomfortable to think OLPC (with its track record of
wise community decisions) could tell what I could or could not do with
a vanilla sugar system.

But now we're expected to embed another Copyrighted, Trademarked logo,
that carries no meaning or significance for our target audience, nor
any possible use in the user interface.

In order to avoid an all out misunderstanding flame, please inform
yourself of a similar problem on this Debian Bug:

So I think the healthiest thing is for Sugar to make an all out
contest for a Sugar Person and/or Mascot for the UI, and refuse any
branding requests made by any computer manufacturer or GNU
distribution.

Another colorful if symbolical solution would be for me to fork sugar
(call it Honey) and use the Honey Badger
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_badger) as our mascot (its
sometimes refered to as Honey Weasel).

By the way, I'm deploying largely on non OLPC hardware and not based
on fedora quite soon. Really, at least a branch will have to exist for
the rest of us?

Sebastian

2008/12/6 Morgan Collett <morgan.collett at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 15:34, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> From http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Eben#Tasks:
>>
>> Add Fedora logo to Sugar
>> We've agreed to include the Fedora logo in our Sugar distributions.
>> (Is this an OLPC agreement, or something SugarLabs should be doing in
>> general?) I've added some thoughts to the ticket (Trac #8767) , but
>> I'd like to get some more feedback and finalize a plan so this doesn't
>> become a last-minute problem.
>>
>> ~~~
>>
>> SugarLabs wants to help distributions ship Sugar but isn't in the
>> distribution business itself. Distributions are free to take the code
>> we release and modify it at will to better suit their interests. Now,
>> if distros want to be able to incorporate their brands in the Sugar UI
>> and would prefer not to have to apply their own patches to every
>> release, we could devise some way for distros to brand their Sugars
>> without patching code.
>>
>> Distro people: what would you like to do regarding branding?
>
> I'm quite happy with carrying a patch in the ubuntu packages, and I'm
> sure it would be no problem for debian either. Ubuntu has its logo on
> the GNOME panel with the Applications menu, so seems equivalent to
> that.
>
> I think it would be good if the Sugar tarball releases carry no
> specific logo by default (or perhaps a Sugar Labs logo?) with each
> distro including OLPC patching in their desired logo. That would
> ensure there is a well documented method to do the patch.
>
> Regards
> Morgan

Sebastian Silva
Iniciativa FuenteLibre