[Sugar-devel] Java & Scratch on XO

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Mon Dec 1 09:37:33 EST 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:16 PM, John Maloney <jmaloney at media.mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi, Tomeu.
>
> Thanks for your reply. It's great that there is a way to handle this!
>
> I took a quick look at the EToys .xo bundle and did not see a
> mimetypes.xml file. However, I did notice that EToys lists a lot of
> mime types in it's activity.info. What I don't see is how the system
> would know what file extension to associate with a type like
> "application/x-squeak-project". Is that what the mimetypes.xml is for?
> Do you know of any other activity that uses a mimetypes.xml file that
> would be a good model for Scratch?

True, have talked with Bert and he said that the etoys.xml file they
have in the source repository is for the rpm, not for the .xo. So
sorry for the misleading pointer.

The idea is that your scratch bundle would have a file named
mimetypes.xml in the activity dir (so next to the activity.info file,
the icon, etc) and the contents would be analogous to those in
etoys.xml. As you can see, that file relates extensions to mime types.

Unfortunately, cannot find now an activity that currently uses it, but
ping me again if you have trouble putting that to work and I will look
harder or do a small experiment here.

Good luck,

Tomeu