[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Development team mission

Morgan Collett morgan.collett
Mon Dec 1 08:05:51 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 16:08, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> You were quite articulate about this at Sugar Camp: An important part
> of the mission is to make sure that the contributions come from
> broadest base possible; that suggests that documentation is as
> important as coding.
>
> -walter

Usually I've seen mission statements developed in conjunction with
vision statements, with the vision being "Where are we going" and the
mission being "How are we going to get there".

What would the vision statement be for the development team? Something
like "Sugar everywhere, easily modifiable by by all users, who can
contribute their changes upstream, where a sustainable community of
developers implement new features and maintain the upstream codebase"?

The mission would then include something like "Develop new features,
maintain the existing codebase, and lower the bar for community
contributions through documentation and by soliciting, revewing and
merging community contributions".

I have focused more on the process than the desired end result: What
Sugar ought to be. Perhaps that should be incorporated as well to
guide what the new features should be...

Regards
Morgan