[Sugar-devel] Wacom Bamboo with XO?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Mon Dec 1 03:34:52 EST 2008

[adding sugar-devel to cc as it's of interest to other platforms than olpc]

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Chris Marshall
<jns-cmarshall at comcast.net> wrote:
> pgf at laptop.org wrote:
>> wade wrote:
>>  > I'm partly set up to build kernels, I can give it a try at some point.
>>  >
>>  > Ultimately though, just mouse position and clicking isn't nearly
>>  > enough.  You *at least* need pressure information for a decent tablet
>>  > painting experience.
>>
>> right -- i'm hoping someone with some tablet experience will
>> point to some tool that does the right config of the tablet.
>
> Well, I haven't yet figured out how to get an appropriate
> OLPC kernel build set-up but from my investigation to date
> it looks like the gtk.gdk class interface already has the
> "smarts" to talk to tablets.
>
> By default, Wacom USB tablets start out in a generic HID mode.
> The application would need to recognize the tablet, then
> enable the full tablet driver and configuration.
>
>   http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/theory
>
>  From my reading of the gtk.gdk page it looks like those
> should map directly to the tablet access info on the Wacom
> HOWTO site.
>
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/appdev
>
> There is even a command line utility to config
> the tablet that could probably be integrated into the
> Sugar shell process or Sugarized into an activity of sorts:
>
> http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/xsetwacom

Hi, in case someone is interested, adding a control panel section to
Sugar is quite easy once you know a bit of pygtk, look here for the
already existing examples:

http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=sugar;a=tree;f=extensions/cpsection

We should have nice documentation, but in the meantime, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Tomeu