[sugar] PlayGo v2 and v3

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Sun Aug 31 04:29:49 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Andr?s Ambrois <andresambrois at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 29 August 2008 04:31:59 Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>
> wrote:
>> > Hi Andr?s,
>> >
>> > thanks for your work!
>> >
>> > Ambrois wrote:
>> >
>> > - is the 'You need to install gnugo...' a conditional message that
>> > changes or goes away when gnugo is installed?
>>
>> What about shipping gnugo inside the .xo bundle?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Tomeu
>
>  I didn't want to add to the size of the activity. Also shipping a compiled
> gnugo would make it platform-dependant.

Sure, these are downsides of shipping activities inside bundles, but
by requiring to install an rpm you are probably limiting the people
that will make use of your activity, specially children (keep in mind
that in uruguay users don't have access to root).

What if you offer a .xo for users of the current hardware that
includes gnugo (or only the parts of it really used) and then .rpm,
.deb, etc with proper dependencies and so on? By the number of people
interested in Go around here, you may find some help on that.

Regards,

Tomeu