[sugar] Release Cycle - Period

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Sat Aug 30 19:38:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 5:44 AM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> The first step in establishing a release cycle will be setting the
> period.
>
> Here again, I think that we all agree in principle on a sixth month
> cycle.

Yeah we discussed it in the Sugar meeting a couple of weeks ago and
there was agreement.

I updated the tentative schedule:

http://sugarlabs.org/go/ReleaseTeam/Roadmap/Tentative_0.84

> >From Sugar Labs perspective the actual time period is quite arbitrary.
> The lower bound is how quickly we can effectively iterate through the
> innovate-stabilize-release cycle.  The upper limit is how long we can go
> before a release becomes stale.

Six months is probably a bit too long from this point of view. Though
OLPC is planning 8.2.1 in December, which means we will maintain the
0.82 branch alive for a long time.

> >From a Redhat perspective something that lines up with the Fedora
> release cycle makes sense.

We would be 2.5 months in advance of the Fedora cycle. I think that's
pretty good.

> >From a OLPC perspective the issue is more complicated.  The cost benefit
> analysis boils down to the cost of pushing a new release vs. the benefit
> gained by improvements in the new release minus the cost of supporting
> each additional release.  I will happily leave the math on that on to
> Jim;)

If OLPC keeps on a six months release schedule, we should be in good
shape to ship Sugar 0.84 in 9.1.0. I'll try to get some more info
about that. It might worth to anticipate the release of 2-3 weeks to
be safer.

Marco