[sugar] Landing patches about the network devices UI

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Mon Aug 25 08:19:02 EDT 2008

Hello,

we have a couple of patches that should be ready to be reviewed by
tomorrow, which solves several issues with the UI of network devices.

#6944 UI confuses which AP you are connected to
#3993 The color of network icon in Home view becomes white after
restarting Sugar.
#2866 Network Manager GUI doesn't report success or failure
#6995 Add a mesh device to the frame and remove mesh devices from
Neighborhood view

The tickets are a little confusing, so let me summarize what the patches does:

1 Adds "IP address" to the mesh & wireless palettes, with associated
changes to their model classes.
2 Removes the "Disconnect" or "Turn On/off" entries from the
wireless/mesh palettes.
3 Makes both frame icons pulse.
4 Don't show the mesh icons in the mesh view, instead show them in the frame.
5 Fix some iconsistency in the icon states by cleaning up the code.

mtd did quite a bit of testing on them already, but they are pretty
invasive and there is some risk of regressions.

My opinion is:

2 is controversial and should be left as is for 8.2
1, 5 are important and we should try to get them in.
4 would be nice to have but I don't consider it essential.
3 should be delayed unless it's small and it's easier to take it then
to refactor patches.

1,3,5 has been submitted for review as patch A. 2, 4 will be submitted
today as patch B. My suggestion would be:

* Rip off 3 from patch A if it's worth it and land it for 8.2.0 (before Friday)
* Do *not* land patch B for 8.2.0

mtd has some free time today, so if we can let him know what we want
and don't want to land soon it would be great.

Thanks,
Marco