[sugar] Sugar on Beagle Board training at ESC Boston

Jason Kridner jkridner
Mon Aug 18 17:00:04 EDT 2008

Call for presentation from Sugar developers,

I think it would be great if the Sugar community would put forth a
training at the Embedded Systems Conference in Boston in October[1].
They will be holding several classes[2] on the Beagle Board and I
believe the board is well-suited for higher-level educational
environments (low-cost, low-power, small, DSP capabilities, 3D
graphics, etc.).  It is certainly no OLPC replacement, but I'd like to
get the people who are playing with that board thinking a bit
differently about how we train programmers to think about computers--
and I believe Sugar is a good tool for that.

The Beagle Board is an ARM-based platform that is intentionally
incomplete[3] (no case, no built-in LCD, no built-in Ethernet, etc.).
It *is* intended to promote TI's OMAP3530 device which comes from an
architecture originally intended for mobile phones and I'd understand
if the tie-in with a particular company's promotional goals puts some
people off, so I want to be up-front about that.  Still, there are a
lot of developers who are interested in the platform and, being a fan
of the OLPC software architecture, I don't want them to miss out on
Sugar.

Let me know if you are interested.  I'd be happy to help with the
port.  Python, GTK+, and GECKO are already running.

Regards,
Jason Kridner

[1] http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8405005860.html
[2] http://www.cmp-egevents.com/web/escb/beagleboard
[3] http://beagleboard.org

P.S. Sorry to Beagle subscribers for double-post.  Original e-mail was
sent from wrong address and was bounced by the Sugar mailing list.