[sugar] 0.84 goals

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Fri Aug 15 13:56:30 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>>> Why not let accessing of *deferred* Activities be handled by Journal ?
>>
>> Because it involves an extra step or two that in practice people don't
>> take. Personally, I would even go to the extreme that the Home View
>> should by default open the most recent Journal entry.

I think that improvement to the Journal will make it a place people
*want* to go to.  It should be friendly.  It should expose previews up
front to make browsing easier.  *Everything* should have a preview
(right now it's often pretty barren).  We need to encourage naming so
that meaningful titles can be read and searched.  We need to get
better collaboration, and for more activities, so that the Journal
fill sup with a wide palette of colors.  All of these things should
make it a place rich in info and pleasurable to peruse.

That said, we also do have the design for allowing one to resume the
most recent Journal entry for any given favorite activity in Home
view, as well.

> I'll be the first to admit that the current implementation of
> Journal is cumbersome.  But if it is possible to add palette entries

You're too late!  I was first! :-P

> to Activity icons on Home view (for resuming something), it ought to
> be possible to add similar "short cuts" on the Journal screen.
>
> I can get to the Home view by pressing the 'Home view' key on the
> keyboard.  I can get to Journal by pressing the 'Journal' key on the
> keyboard.  For me, going to the Journal takes no more steps than
> going to Home View.  [And since Home view provides alternate ways of
> presenting its information, why oughtn't Journal provide alternate
> ways of presenting *its* information (including a clickable "short
> cut" listing of the most recently saved Activities) ?]

Isn't that what you get by default?  The most recent n created/saved
entries are at the top, so this is really the whole point.

- Eben