[sugar] Release Cycle

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Thu Aug 14 16:39:48 EDT 2008

David Farning wrote:
> Now, it is time for our stakeholder representative to sit down and hash
> out a plan for the up coming release cycle.  I am not naive enough to
> think that we can immediately forget our past grudges or politics.  But,
> I am optimistic enough to think that we can agree enough to set mutual
> goals and allocate resources to those goal...for one release cycle.  The
> best thing about release cycles is that in six months we can revisit our
> goals and asset reallocation.

Hi David,

I don't think it's realistic to plan for an all hands meeting on the
short time. Most of the OLPC developers and management is busy getting
the release out of the door.

* As far as I know Red Hat doesn't currently have *direct* plans on Sugar.
* Greg has been doing some great work on starting to hash out 9.1.0
plans for OLPC. We are pretty well covered there and I'm confident
requirements there will get increasingly clear.
* SugarLabs concrete needs are somewhat nebulous to me. Can we  fix
that? We will have to rely on community help, since we can't currently
fund work.
* There is a lot of work, like stability and performance, which will
obviously benefit everyone.

My suggestion it to use this list and the SugarLabs wiki to plan the
next release cycle. This will allow OLPC, SugarLabs and the whole
community around Sugar to participate.

Marco