[sugar] Journal view "flips" topmost entries

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Mon Aug 11 18:12:50 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> My guess is that "flipping" of the topmost entries in Journal has to
> do with "scheduling" rather than with "communications".  Though in

I'm sure that what you are seeing results from the fact that the
Journal defers updating itself until its window is shown, to prevent
needless updates from occurring in the background and taking extra CPU
cycles.  It's unfortunate that the single update that occurs when the
Journal is focused has so much latency...this should really be
happening so quickly as to be unnoticeable.  There are a lot of pieces
of the Journal that could use some optimiation, among them the actual
rendering of the entries themselves when a change occurs (try
starring/unstarring and see how long it takes it to redraw to reflect
the change! (http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/7151)).

That said, the circumstance you describe is truly not good; in fact,
without a confirmation alert upon deletion, this could might even be
considered a blocker.  Could you open a ticket describing the problem,
and note that adding a confirmation might be a valid short term
workaround to prevent accidental deletions? (Actually, just found
this: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3778.  Could you update this ticket
with your experience and perhaps add a blocks?:8.2.0 tag so it's
considered?)

Clearly we need to this and also plenty of optimization in the future.

- Eben

PS.  If you truly are seeing the flip apart from the first time the
Journal is shown, there is something else amiss.  Please keep an eye
out and confirm one way or the other if you actually experience such
behavior.  Thanks!