[sugar] Question about write from Niue -OLPC training

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc
Thu Aug 7 07:16:53 EDT 2008

Hi Guys,

Great question! So basic but so relevant!

I don't think its just the image size, but I'm open to suggestions.

I found one way using build 703 to get an image off the web and in to write.

Open Browse and go to the page you want to get the image from. Then hold
down the shift key and click the mouse button and hold it down. Then
drag the image to the frame and drop it there.

Now you should have a clipboard image stye icon on the frame. Mouse over
it and choose add to the journal. Then open write, choose the image tab
and click the insert image option.

I don't know if that is meant to be supported (e.g. the drag and drop is
not reliable in many cases) but it worked for me on 703.

In my experience, there are several areas of instability you want to be
aware of in the 656 and possibly 703 releases. The clipboard can get
confused about what type of file it has and which one is the paste
target. So I had to remove everything else from the clipboard before it
decided that the image was the paste target. Even so it I couldn't paste
it with control-v in to Write.

When the journal is big it sometimes doesn't open. I think that is more
relevant to 656 than 703 but its something to be aware of. That may
block you from getting something off the journal in to write with the
file chooser.

Its a work around, but seemed to work for me :-)

For the list, I don't know what version of Write or Browse I have on
this XO. How do I determine that?

HTHs.

Try getting an image and text from Write on to a web page sometime too....

Thanks,

Greg S

Message: 3