[sugar] Proposal: Activity developers mailing list

Simon Schampijer simon
Wed Aug 6 03:06:26 EDT 2008

Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
>> Hi Bernie,
>>
>> I read the lists in digest except for Sur which I get individually
>> because I was the first admin for that the list (can't seem to turn that
>> off :-(
>>
>> I focus 100% on delivering the best experience possible for users of the
>> 400K XOs shipped so far (50K more shipping every month). So I scan or
>> read all the lists on lists.laptop.org and I try to stay up to date with
>>   wiki.laptop.org.
>>

> Hello Greg,
>
> Sugar is a project with a very large scope. Many of the core
> contributors believes that the resources OLPC is able to devote to it
> are not going to be sufficient to fullfill it's long term goals or even
> to get near enough to them.
>
> We need to make Sugar available and used also outside OLPC to attract
> more contributors. That's the very reason of the existence of SugarLabs.
> On the long term that's going to be very useful to those 400K XOs in the
> field.
>
> That requires to establish Sugar as an independent FOSS project and
> building a community around it. And it's important for the identity of
> the project that the mailing lists and other services are available from
> its domain.
>
> After 8.2 is out and we are all a little less pressed, I'd like to
> propose that:
>
> 1 We move sugar at laptop.org to devel at sugarlabs.org. OLPC specific issues
> related to Sugar can be discussed on devel at laptop.org.
> 2 We move Fructose git repositories on sugarlabs.org.
>
> They would be a couple of good steps towards the long-term goal and they
> would not hinder in any way the immediate OLPC goals.
>
> Cheers,
> Marco

Right, the independent sugar FOSS project is the reason for all this moving. As
marco said, we are quite sure that in the end this will help sugar to mature which
will directly make the experience on the XO much better.

Best,
    Simon