[sugar] How do I connect to a Jabber server ?

Gary C Martin gary
Mon Aug 4 20:56:36 EDT 2008

On 4 Aug 2008, at 23:40, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> My _wish_ is simple:  I want a chance to contact (for Chat, or for
> collaboration) another XO at a different location.  Basically, for
> me to initiate that, that other XO's icon needs to be shown in my
> Neighborhood view.
>
> Currently, only icons from the LOCAL mesh to which I am connected
> will show up in my Neighborhood view.  My question in this topic is:
> "What do I need to do to have icons from REMOTE locations show up ?"

If gabble fails to get to a named jabber server (set in the control
panel) it defaults to salute. This may be via an access point (if
you've attached to one) or via the mesh (if it has no luck with an
AP). Once it's looking at the mesh it tries each of the 3 slices of
spectrum available (1, 6 & 11) looking for a school server. If it find
none it seems to default to go sit on mesh, channel 1, hoping to meet
another XO there (though it may re-scan occasionally).

Now the scanning sequence used to be as stated above (previous
official releases), but in recent joyrides I find my XO immediately
attaches to my preferred AP and doesn't waist time sniffing the mesh
(I like this, but 3 kids under a tree may not).

The xochat.org jabber server is the one I seem to reliably attach to
for my XO testing, though I'd love to see an official developer jabber
server, so as not to pester real G1G1 users with my tests, and so we
can 'eat our own dogfood' in a dev environment**. Connecting to a
remote jabber server is currently the way to see and share with other
remote users*** in the neighborhood.

** perhaps Sugar Labs could run such an environment?

*** recently, can even work with non XO jabber clients, though I've
not been able to test properly yet.

Note: current joyrides past 2241seem to have a broken eth0 networking,
allegedly the (local) msh0 is still working but I have no way to test
that side of things with a single XO.

--Gary