[sugar] Proposal: Activity developers mailing list

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff
Mon Aug 4 16:14:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:45 AM, Morgan Collett
<morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my experience the activity developer community has lost many
> participants already. Perhaps they weren't going to stay anyway,
> beyond an initial
> I personally found the best approach was to follow all communication
> channels to try and figure out what worked and what didn't, and what

Good point. As mention, there are a lot of things to keep track of. At
the moment, that is the nature of the beast - the platform has a high
rate of change. Once the rate of change slows down, it will be easier
for activity authors. Right now, well...

> Those are both high traffic lists, with a lot of
> traffic not relevant to activities, as Martin Dengler has analysed:
>> I can't believe I did this, but I went through the July sugar@
>> messages and categorized them into ones I thought would be appropriate
>> for the AA list and ones not (thus for the current sugar@ list).
>>
>> Totals:  808 messages
>> AA - 293 messages 36.3%
>> SS - 515 messages 63.7%

Sidenote: I think *any* developer these days is used to lists where
they are interested in only a % of the traffic. If you are a lead or
core dev of a small project, your project's list is probably 100% for
you, but in *every* other case, you read <10% of the emails. I read
100% of server devel at l.l.o, 20% of devel at l.l.o, 5% of
git at vger.kernel.org, 5% of moodle.org list traffic, 2% of
fedora-devel-list, etc.

It would be wholly inappropriate for me to complain on those lists
about irrelevant traffic -- every reader slices and dices them in
their own way. Some activity authors need to keep track of camera
bugs. Others are sensitive to timing issues (realtime-ish needs?) or
storage (large media?) or touchpad bugs, or multi-touch plans. Or
specific library changes.

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com