[sugar] Proposal: Activity developers mailing list

Albert Cahalan acahalan
Sat Aug 2 12:53:05 EDT 2008

Morgan Collett writes:

> We didn't get to discuss this activity developers' mailing list
> at the Sugar meetings. However I've had no negative feedback.
> If anyone is opposed to this list, please speak up quickly and
> loudly. Otherwise I will get it created in the next week,
> publicize it and invite all known activity developers whose email
> addresses I can track down to subscribe.

Well I don't want to be all that negative because it isn't my
server and I'm not joining the list, so I have little reason to
care. If you're looking for reasons why the list isn't useful
though, sure:

This will eventually, if not immediately, be a dead list.

Few people want to work on all activities. Activities often
do not share much in common. For developer D1 who likes to
hack on activity A1, emails about activity A2 are noise.

Generally, the expertise will be elsewhere. If I need to discuss
programming the camera, where does it make sense for me to go?
Certainly an activity mailing list is not the place.

If the list were moderated, to be used ONLY for announcements
of things that break the API/ABI, then there could be some value.
In that case, you'd need to split up Python and non-Python.
Like this:

python-breakage at lists.sugarlabs.org
lowlevel-breakage at lists.sugarlabs.org

There could also be a list to announce new activities.