[sugar] specifying what services Activities may use

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Sat Aug 2 00:35:23 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Jerry Williams <jwilliam at xmission.com> wrote:
> Seems like this problem for linux was solved with RPM.

I wouldn't go quite that far. The holes in RPM drove me to Debian. %-[

> With rpm if something is missing for something you want to install, it
> complains and won't let you install it.

Apt and yum also track dependencies, both better than RPM, and rather
than refuse to install, they offer to get the dependent libraries for
you. Why aren't we using this approach with xo-get?

> It seems like a lot of the python code I have looked at assumes you have
> stuff and just quietly dies and you have to look at the log and see, oh I am
> missing <some module>.
> Like the Terminal activity needs python-json.
> Pacman needs pygame.
>
> Jerry Williams

Silent Thunder [??/????????] is my name,
And Children are my nation.
The whole world is my dwelling place,
And Truth my destination.