[sugar] [OLPC library] Things I would like taken away from the wiki: Sign-up lists

FFM ffm
Fri Aug 1 17:28:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 05:21:37PM -0400, Seth Woodworth wrote:

> > > create a bot or tool that makes this ad-hoc list broadcasting function
> > > (including making sure people are notified via email), I would be
> > ecstatic.
> >
> > Such bots are in existance on the english wikipedia, they are also open
> > source.
> >
> > The issue is that people don't know how easy it is to start a lists.l.o
> > mailing
> > list, we need to make that more obvious. That could fix much of this issue.
>

> Yes, they exist.  But to create and maintain a bot, and then teaching people
> to use it, and giving permissions to post to given lists of people?  It's a
> complex structure that does not currently exist and would be *more* work to
> administer by hand.
>
> My point remains.  The lists that exist on the wiki now, detract from
> volunteering and currently provide no benefit as currently used.

Ok, so the only other option for notification of users are mailing lists.

The issue is that the process for creating a list is non-streamlined, and soon
we'd have a huge amount of mailing lists at lists.l.o.

I think tasklists are good as well (on wiki).

-FFM