[sugar] Ad-hoc Networking

Ricardo Carrano carrano
Wed Apr 23 21:29:26 EDT 2008

(sigh, again) I did not distort anything. The suggestion that OLPC should
remove the mesh is there.

And this suggestion is hardly based on a first hand experience or in a
technical analysis.
People who never put three XOs together keep repeating this based on a quite
vague idea that the tickets are many.
(1) Could you please give me numbers to support this.
And would this be fair? Try to remember that almost everything relies on the
network.

And please,
Try to respond when ad-hoc is an alternative to mesh. Maybe I change my
mind.
Try to say why you think the mesh "does not work", based on facts. You don't
need access to the code to do that.
If you want to contribute to the development of the network, there is a lot
you can do: test it, report it, analyse traffic captures. Your complaining
is not helping anything.
Another idea for those who want to help in the wireless front. Instead of
complaining, contribute to the driver. It is open source.

> We don't throw away every important aspect of the project, we simply
> disable/ignore features as long as they don't work as expected. A
> "feature" which is an obstacle without visible benefits to
> users/developers has no inherent value.

Are you serious? Are you saying that the mesh network  does not bring
benefits?
And are you saying that we should drop anything that does not work as
expected?
What is the obstacle, you mention?
I really want to be presented to the perfect piece of software you want to
save from fire.