[sugar] E-mail, XMPP, and non-Sugar identities

Shikhar shikhar
Wed Apr 30 20:48:26 EDT 2008

Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

> There are perhaps a billion or more people in the world who have e-mail
> access (SMTP).  We would like students with XOs to be able to communicate
> with these people in an easy, sensible way.  For this reason, there has
> been a great deal of interest in e-mail clients for the XO.

I am one of those interested in the development of an email client for
Sugar (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Email_Activity), although in the short
term the below goal would not be accomplished:

a Sugary email client should support meta-contacts in the sense of
associating email addresses with Sugar buddies. Emails sent to the
contact are either sent directly across the mesh when the buddy appears,
or via standard SMTP when internet access becomes available, whichever
happens first.